Tuesday, February 23, 2010

(Jump to) The Journey, Early Middle, Part 1: A Recap of Sorts

There are many things I can think of that would be true in a perfect world. One, for instance, would be that the earthquake in Haiti never happened. Two would be that I had perfect gaydar. Three would be that such a thing as internet censorship and firewalls wouldn’t exist. Four would be that my stomach and digestive tract could better withstand the oil and spice that plagues (and blesses) Sichuan cuisine. Five would be that I would never doubt myself, and that I would continue forth and try to constantly do the best I can to improve myself in every aspect of life.

Six would be that it wouldn’t have been nearly two goddamn months until I’ve updated this blog.

But perhaps it is a good thing we do not live in a perfect world, in that the opportunities and events presented to us act as lessons, reminders, and guideposts to the future.

Perhaps the earthquake and devastation in Haiti has led to the souls of the dead go towards new adventures, better lives and a greater understanding of life. Perhaps my not having perfect gaydar will lead me to act in ways and do things which will help me better appreciate when I finds me a man (and by “a” I do mean “several”, I have high goals!). Perhaps figuring out how to navigate the murky waters of the internet and digestive foibles will help me better understand how I deal with difficulties which might never completely go away. And perhaps the periods of doubt I’ve had about things in my life will only serve to better help me grow as the person who I wish to become, the person who can write and teach and dream feverishly of a life filled with magic, and bring that world into being, and help others along the way.

But what I can say for certain now is that I can already see clearly something good that comes from not having updated my blog for nearly two months. In this time I’ve had so many interesting, wild, upsetting, desperate, and illuminating events happen, that I cannot possibly hope of telling them within the proper sequence. I am, after all, not a person who can be constrained by that hopelessly outdated idea that things should necessarily be told in linear sequence. I think in loops, twirls, and stars, and I would very much like to hope that my writing and story-telling should reflect that. So, this now gives me an excellent opportunity to reach into the misty grab bag of my memory (with the help of literally thousands of photos) and tell of my experiences here as I feel they should come. Namely, in the language and pattern of dream logic, where much good magic springs from.

What I can tell you within this one post is a very brief (if non-chronological) list of things that I’ve done, seen, and experience while in China:

* I’ve eaten pig brains.
* I stood across the air in the Sky Platform of the Pearl Tower in Shanghai, nearly 100 stories above the streets of the world.
* I’ve learned more Chinese (and with the help of language partners, a new iTouch with a Chinese dictionary, and ChinesePod, I hope to learn waaaay more than I have been).
* I’ve confessed romantic interest to someone.
* I’ve met wonderful people from many different parts of the world, including Norway, America, China, Ireland, the Netherlands, and France.
* I’ve successfully made Fanqiejidan (番茄鸡蛋), possibly the best kind of scrambled eggs you’ll have in your life. And I made it damn good.
*I got kicked out of Vietnam.
* I’ve been rejected in love.
* I’ve held a red panda.
* I’ve had diarrhea more times in the past month than in the 5 years previous to it.
* I bought a great watercolor painting of cherry blossoms from a Chinese dwarf.
* I’ve had my fortune told by a Daoist monk, and though I have yet to discover whether it’s hit the mark yet, it sounds like it’ll be eerily accurate.
* I got shitfaced on my birthday weekend, and had to puke three times. Once in the bar I got shitfaced at, and twice on the way home in a taxi with a Chinese driver. By myself.
* I survived a 26-hour, no-seat train ride from Guilin to Chengdu. “Survived” here carries a significant weight of meaning, trust me.
* I’ve felt more than once that Chengdu will be home to me for at least another year, and it feels so odd to find a place on the other side of the world where you can feel something like that.

And the list could go on. At any rate, I hope for the moment this list is sufficient to at least pique curiosity. It certainly has for me, and I’m two months away from even the half of my time here in China, and possibly travels in the Summer to countries bordering it. I promise to start uploading much more often, as well as put photos I’ve taken here, such as this charming photo of me holding said red panda!


Or, perhaps you're interested in seeing a picture of "the best gift for children":


At any rate, If you’re interested in seeing many more photos, here is the link to my photobucket account, which will constantly be a work-in-progress as I contend with awful internet connection speed, as well as the ungodly amount of photos I've taken and will continue to take (it's all for you, Stacia!).

What must be said  before the end of this blog, though, is that I’ve been continuously amazed at what the world has to offer. Though things may frustrate us, and confuse us, and sadden us, there are just as many things, if not more of them, that will amaze us, enlighten us, and exhilarate us beyond our wildest imaginings if only we let them. And perhaps, sometimes these things do all of these to us at the same time, and so much more.
Perhaps then, in such a world, perfection is something which should be assumed as having always been present, if only it is approached with an open heart.

And a really good dose of humor could help, as well.

ChengDo: Update my blog MUCH more often than I have (not) been (doing). A more profound one, I guess, is to make sure and realize the possible good in every situation.
ChengDon’t: Taking the train throughout China with the “no-seat” ticket option more than once.

9 comments:

  1. Shane! I'm so glad to hear from you after all these weeks. I've been checking your blog every day, just wishing I could hear some small snippet of your adventures. It's lovely to see how well you're doing, and I can't wait to look at all of your photos. While I miss you dreadfully, I know how much you must be cherishing your time in China, and I wish you all the best. Cheers, Shane! Love, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane!!! Wow...You are incredible and it is wonderful to hear from you! It is a different kind of place around here without you :(
    The experiences and thoughts that you are having sound absolutely incredible. I have so much that I want to share with you, but so much that I have to do. Don't worry about your blog...just go out and keep living it up. There will be time for stories later, but it is always wonderful to catch up. Play it safe,....but not too safe ;)
    Best wishes to you in China!
    Mik (your kitchen buddy across the ocean)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane, so good to hear from you!! I hope someday soon we'll get to sit down and you can tell me all these crazy stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Emma: I'm extra sorry to not updating more often if I've kept you waiting! I'm gonna try my best to do it more often, especially since this is excellent practice at trying different writing styles and learning how to catalogue my experiences here. I'm looking forward to coming back to Pacific and talking with you, but until then I'll just have to post more! Hope you're doing well.
    @Mikaila: Thanks kitchen buddy! Now that I'm thinking about our kitchen times, I realize how much I miss our "look-at-each-other moments" and then bursting out laughing for a totally secret-but-known reason! I look forward to sharing ideas and things with you whenever you'd like. If you want, just email me and I can try to get back to you, but the best option will be just to talk like crazy when I get back, so there! I hope you're doing well.
    @Jenna: Hey, girl! That'd be nice. But until then, get yourself some Skypes and chat me up at some point online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. La la la. Am so happy you wrote. And what a writer! I love your total honesty about digestion and the longing for your perfect gaydar(s). You are no slouch in the writing department either. Thanks for keeping us posted and I look forward to your dreams, especially the ones with stars twirls and loops. Crazy man...loving it. I want that panda to cuddle with.

    Most of all keep having a total blast! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Suzie! Short of being disgusting (and sometimes it's fun to throw a little bit of that in the mix!) I'm all for full disclosure. I think it makes for more honest writing. And thank you! You're too nice. I'll try my best to write more and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok yes ALWAYS... and i cannot strss it enough ALWAYS!!!! get a sleeper for anything longer than a 4 hour ride. Anyway I will chat with you on skype.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shane!

    It's Guthrie S. back from Pacific.

    Mikaila gave wind that you were looking to start up ASL as a language at Pacific? If this is still the case, when you get back I a 100% on board with helping get that off the ground. I took it in HS, and would love to see it at Pacific.

    Have an excellent time in China, and hope to hear from you when you get back!

    - Guthrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Iain: Haha! I'll keep that in mind.
    @Guthrie: Hey, boy! I'm doing well. Actually, I was more interested in getting Italian started as a language for a WIII course, but I would be more than willing to collaborate and see what we could get going. I think that'd be great!

    Anyways, hope you're doing well. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete